Saturday, January 14, 2012

The sugar free project has forced me to examine my habits.  When I find myself craving something sweet, I take a step back and take inventory.

Am I hungry?  Usually, no.
Am I bored?  Sometimes.
Am I dissatisfied? Sometimes.
Am I being mindful? Nope.

Aye, there's the rub.  More often than not, when I'm eating sweets, I'm not eating them mindfully.  A plate of cookies = they must all be consumed.  There's no logic there.  I'm not hungry for the entire plate of cookies -- honestly, I may not even be hungry for a single one.  But if they're there, a switch flips on and tells me that I should eat them all...and woe to the person who comes between me and a chocolate chip.

It boils down to mindless excess, really.  Which got me to thinking: where else in my life have I carved out a place for mindless excess?  Well, there's my closet for starters.  I have several pairs of $500+ shoes I've never even worn.  And my schedule -- so many commitments that don't even excite me.  If something is offered, I tend to accept, whether or not I even want the thing in question.  Interesting.

Now that my diet is under control, I've started to "sugar-free" the rest of my life.  First up?  Politely declining social invitations that don't excite me.  Clearing space in my calendar for daily yoga, healthy cooking, reading, writing, and exercise.  These crucial lifestyle elements are the first to hit the cutting room floor when my schedule gets overloaded, so I'm making a pact with myself not to let that happen.  Case in point: A friend recently invited me to her birthday party.  It doesn't start until 10:30 at night, which is well past my bedtime.  In the past, I would have felt obligated to go, and would have paid the price the next day: too tired to get up for pilates, napping instead of running errands, feeling sluggish and tired instead of relaxed and energized (which is the entire point of weekends).  Oh, and did I mention I don't even like parties?  I don't.  Too loud, too crowded, can't have a meaningful conversation...I've never been a big party person.  So, instead, I responded honestly.  I told her the party was past my bedtime, and instead invited her for a birthday tea on another day.  That way, I'm still able to offer some birthday cheer to my friend, but won't be doing it at the expense of my own health and happiness. 

It's a balancing act, and (surprise, surprise) balancing has never been my forte.  But that's no reason not to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment