Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm four days into my daily yoga practice, and I'm already feeling the effects.  Yes, it requires getting up 30 minutes earlier in the morning, and no, it doesn't replace a regular workout, but it is a fantastic way to start the day!  I feel more balanced, rooted, and mindful as I leave the house -- and the benefits stay with me throughout the day.  I can't recommend it enough!  I've been doing Rodney Yee's AM Yoga, which is terrific, although probably not for absolute beginners.  It's not that it's super challenging or anything, but rather that he moves from one pose to the next without really explaining what they are, so it's helpful if you already know the basics.  But the verbal adjustments he offers are spot on, and the sound and visuals on the DVD are gorgeous. 

Having a daily practice also seems to be helping my willpower when it comes to eating clean and (mostly) sugar-free.  Now that my cold has passed, my appetite has returned -- and so have my cravings.  I passed a bakery in NYC on Tuesday afternoon and was craving a cupcake so badly that I went inside and ordered one.  I sat down, picked up my fork, and took a single bite.  And you know what?  It just tasted "meh" and was not worth the inevitable sugar rush.  I threw it away and sipped a delicious cup of coffee instead, enjoying a few quiet moments of people watching before heading off to my next appointment.  I suppose you could call my cupcake purchase a failure, but it actually felt like a victory.  Giving in to my craving showed me it was just that -- a fleeting thought, not a true need.  And, frankly, not something that my body even wants.  Being more mindful, moment to moment, helps me see things for what they truly are.

No comments:

Post a Comment